|Version 17 (modified by divx118, 20 months ago)|
This page will describe, how to install CM7 (Gingerbread) for gen7 and gen8 on your archos. It will also give some tips and tricks to get the most out of it. This page will be changing depending on new releases of the CM7 image.
So if there is a new release, always check back in here to see the changes.
Installing Gingerbread image
(Below section may need some adjustment for gen7)
NOTE: Below is for gen8, for gen7 it will be added here in the future, but for now follow instructions on setting up multiroot gen7. If you done that proceed to the next step Booting Gingerbread the first time and install google apps
NOTE: Releases are identified by animal names, at the writing of this line the current one is "anoa".
NOTE: You will need to have the original firmware installed, we copy some libs and drivers from the original firmware. We can't include them, because of license issues. The image will not boot and hang on the openaos bootscreen when original firmware isn't installed.
- Connect your Archos to your PC with the USB cable.
- Go into recovery by holding down the "volume down" button and switch on your archos. Keep the button pressed until you see the white recovery menu. Goto "Recovery system" --> "Repair System" --> "Start USB MSC". Your Archos internal memory will now be mounted on your PC.
- Download the Gingerbread image file and copy it to the root of your Archos internal memory.
No unpacking just copy it.For now you need to unpack it first, else it will not add the gingerbread menu item to the boot menu. For unpacking on windows you can use winrar. Rename the file to "openaos-gingerbread.img.gz".Rename the unpacked file to openaos-gingerbread.img. Note: Be sure to use all small letters, just exactly as it is mentioned.
- Very Important: Safely umount/remove the archos from your PC.
- Press the power button on your Archos and select "Reboot" in the white recovery menu. Hold down again the Volume down while rebooting, so you can select SDE to boot.
Some things you need to know
- If the openaos-gingerbread.img.gz is correctly named, it will add an entry to menu.lst which is called Gingerbread. So no need to adjust menu.lst.
- If you for some stupid reason edited menu.lst and messed up, so it can't find the image file. Then you get a list of image files that are available from which you can choose.
Booting Gingerbread the first time and install google apps
When you followed everything correctly you will now see the home screen of Gingerbread.
- First we will connect our wifi to be able to download gapps from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps
- Now open the browser and look at the bookmarks. Click on the one starting with "Cyanogenmod". This will bring you to the wiki page of Cyanogenmod with the latest google apps download.
- The following is very important. Download "Cyanogenmod 6 HDPI 20101114" don't use any other, because you will get less apps available (market fix won't work).
- After this just reboot your device. On reboot there is a script that will detect the zip file in download and install google apps.
- Once the device is started you will be prompted by the android wizzard. Just complete it without installing any apps.
- If you are done, you can startup the market, but will notice that a lot of apps are missing we need todo the market fix.
- Go to your Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> All
Find Market -> Force Stop -> Clear Cache (Do NOT press Clear data)
Find Google Services Framework -> Clear Data (It will Force stop when you do that)
- When Gingerbread is booted again, you can start the market with more apps available. (It can be that the first time you start the market it gives you an error. Just start it again and it should be good)NOTE: Currently no other market version works on gingerbread with the market fix. Just stick with the one mentioned above.
Play videos on Gingerbread
The standard video player doesn't work yet. However there is a nice alternative which is "MX video player".
From the market install "MX Video Player" and "MX Video Player Codec (ARMv7)
FAQ about Gingerbread release
For gen7 specific
For gen8 specific
Question: How can I boot directly into multiboot menu?
Answer: Yes there is a way to boot straight into the multiboot menu. Just remove android in the recovery menu. However then you won't be able to update stock firmware with OTA anymore. There maybe, will be a way in the future, by unpacking the original firmware like it is on gen7. We don't do that for now, because most people use windows and it is a real pain to support it then.
For gen7 and gen8
Question: Where can I find known issues (tickets) for gingerbread?
Answer: Clicking on the following link will show you the Tickets overview
Question: How can I report new tickets for the gingerbread release?
Question: How to know which release I am running?
Answer: Go to Settings --> About phone and look at the buildnumber for anoa release it should read "gen8-userdebug 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD eng.bubu.20110818"